GeoIndustry has a line of work focused exclusively on energy efficiency through the implementation of projects of renewable origin and among which are geothermal heat pumps.
We are living a process of internacional development and we are already implementing our services in Spain, Chile, Peru, Mexico and the Central American region; Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador and Costa Rica.
GeoIndustry personel have more than 10 years of experience in top-level European multinationals where we have designed, implemented and maintained exclusively geothermal heat pump projects such as;
- Facilities with an air conditioning area of more than 20,000 m2.
- Road de-icing projects.
- Large industrial facilities.
- Large residential housing complexes serving more than 100 homes in the same project.
- Hybrid projects including geothermal exchangers in foundations and thermoactive walls.
- Single Family Homes
Geothermal Systems Types
Vertical loops or Boreholes
In countries like Spain they are the most traditional systems that are used the most (picture on the right). Its depth varies depending on the energy needs of the place to be heated, but in Spain it is usually around 100/150 meters and allows us to exchange the heat energy between the subsoil and the heat transfer fluid that circulates on the probes (black pipes in the image ).
Horizontal borehole or closed systems
This type of system consists of the installation of probes forming a series of circuits at a depth of about 1.5 m, separated between 30 and 80 cm. One of the drawbacks of this modality is that a large area of land and a greater length of pipe are required to carry out the transmission of energy.
In those places where the water is at a reasonable depth, we can take advantage of the existing aquifer and a so-called doublet is made, that is, a well from which the water is extracted and another well where the water is returned to its original aquifer.
Thermoactive geothermal structures or piles
This type of system is implemented in reinforced concrete structures with special foundations such as “piles”, “screens” or “slabs” and allows us to save on drilling as we take advantage of existing structures
Electronic Thermal Response Test
GeoIndustry and the Swiss Tachyon group carry out Electronic Thermal Response Tests in a novel and unique way within the international geothermal market using a fully patented technology.
These tests help us to establish the thermal characteristics of the subsoil and we must carry out these tests under three possible scenarios;
- In Spain, for installations over 70 kW. In other countries such as Switzerland, after 5 boreholes it is also recommended.
- In projects of less than 30 kW when the hours of use during a year exceed 1,800 hours of heating.
- In those places where we do not have any type of geological information.
Difference between a traditional Test and an Electronic Thermal Response Test
The main advantages of our Electronic Thermal Response Tests compared to the traditional ones are as follow;
- Faster execution of the test (between one and three hours).
- There is no need for electricity or water needs.
- There are no delays due to any type of weather issue.
- Cheaper than traditional ones.
- To carry out these TeRTs we use the first drilling that is carried out in the field of geothermal probes and it allows us to evaluate the capacity of our land to conduct temperature, store it and transmit it.
CLAUSIUS Geothermal heating pumps
After years of experience in the international geothermal sector, GeoIndustry exclusively installs CLAUISUS geothermal heat pumps.
- Integrate climate control. Allowing the production of heating, cooling and domestic hot water produce in a single installation.
- Passive cooling. Allowing passive cooling production with extremely low energy consumption and cost.
- Low noise. Do not require noisy fans and do not generate air drafts. All their components are silent and sound insulated inside the case.
- Easy to use. The pumps are controlled with simple thermostats and do not require any user interaction, providing a great comfort.
- Clean and safe. They do not require any type of fuel and do not generate flames or smoke, so they do not need fuel storage tanks or chimneys.
- Do not require installation of elements in the outside, no visual impact. All its components are buried or inside the building, therefore they do not require elements in the outside. They do not cause any kind of visual impact.
- Reliability. Installations with ground source heat pumps require minimal maintenance and have a long life by using a simple, proven, known and very reliable technology.
- Energy efficiency and economic savings. ErPA+++ rating. They provide by far more energy efficiency than traditional systems and other types of heat pumps, so the cost of heating is drastically reduced, achieving significant savings.
Geothermal Fish Farms
One of the great advantages that geothermal heat pumps offer is the realization of installations in fish farms.
This type of installation can be approached through the traditional vertical loops or sea water can be used in order to make the installation even more efficient, obtaining higher COP (coefficient of performance).
In this particular installation (photo), seawater is captured and conducted through a series of pipes, pumps, and heat exchangers. The water is heated through a series of heat pumps in a cascade installation with a total of 12 CLAUSIUS Strong Tandem, 150 kW units each, with a total capacity of 1800 kW.
The pools where the salmon are located are heated to 15ºC and once the exchange heating process has been carried out, the water captured from the sea is reinjected back to its place of origin.
When making a budget, the following factors must be considered;
- Geological conditions of the terrain
- Available space for drilling
- Energy needs of the building or buildings to be air-conditioned
- Hours of use of the facility
- Hybridization with other types of
- Available incentives
Get in touch with us and we will solve any type of doubt you may have.
When facing a geothermal heat pump installation, six stages are faced;
- Design & Calculation of the installation.
- Permit obtainment.
- Installation of Technical Room.
- Internal distribution system.
- Final commissioning.